Bunker bread with peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup unchlorinated water.
- 1/4 cup olive oil or whatever oil you can get.
- 1/4 cup honey (some form of sugar is needed for it to rise).
- 4 cups freshly ground hard red wheat flour, or whole wheat flour or general purpose flour, and a little extra to work the dough.
- 2 tablespoons of yeast, use more yeast if you must use chlorinated water.
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Cooking spray.
- ---- stop here to make sandwich bread ---
- Add these additional ingredients to jazz it up.
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins.
- 1 cup freeze dried fruit, rehydrated.
- FOR A DUTCH OVEN in a fireplace with charcoal briquettes.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl by hand.
- Spread a little flour on a bread board and work the dough on the bread board by folding it over at least 5 times.
- Roll it into a ball.
- Spray the bowl with cooking oil and put the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a cloth.
- Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Spray a 10 inch Dutch oven with cooking oil.
- Place the dough in the Dutch oven and spray a little cooking oil on your fist.
- Punch the dough down into the Dutch oven.
- Let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising in the Dutch oven light 25 charcoal briquettes.
- Clean out our fireplace and remove the grate, you will need a level place to work.
- Open a window.
- When the dough has risen for 30 minutes use your fist and punch it down again, make sure it is flat and level, take your time and get it flat level and smooth.
- Place 10 lighted briquettes in a 9 inch circle on the floor of the fireplace.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and place the Dutch oven directly onto the 10 lighted briquettes.
- Place the 15 lighted briquettes on top of the Dutch oven.
- Let it bake for 40 minutes.
- Every 10 minutes rotate the lid 90 degrees counter clockwise and Dutch clockwise 90 degrees.
- After 40 minutes check it.
- When done put a cookie sheet in front of the fireplace, brush the briquettes off the top and lift the Dutch oven up and away from the bottom briquettes.
- The Dutch oven will be hot, allow it to cool sitting there on the cookie sheet in front of the fireplace for about 30 minutes.
- Flip it over and use the Dutch oven lid as a serving dish.