Bug-out bread baked with charcoal
- 3 cups hard red wheat flour finely ground.
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 cup raisins, or pitted diced dates, or whatever fruit you can get cut into small pieces.
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped or whatever other nuts you can get.
- cooking spray.
- DUTCH OVEN in a fireplace with charcoal briquettes.
- Clean out your fireplace and remove the grate, you need a level place to work.
- Open a window.
- Light 30 charcoal briquettes.
- Mix all the ingredients and beat thoroughly in a bowl.
- Spray the Dutch oven with cooking oil.
- Push the dough into the Dutch oven, take your time and spread it evenly, get it smooth and flat.
- Put 10 of the lighted briquettes on the floor of the fireplace and push them together into a 9 inch circle.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and place it directly on top of the 10 lighted briquettes.
- Put 20 lighted briquettes on top of the Dutch oven.
- Every 10 minutes rotate the lid counterclockwise and the Dutch over clockwise 90 degrees.
- Let it bake for 50 minutes then check it.
- If done place a cookie sheet in front of the fireplace and knock the briquettes off the top.
- Lift the Dutch oven up and away from the briquettes and put it on the cookie sheet.
- Allow it to cool for about 30 minutes
- Flip it and use the Dutch oven lid as a serving dish.