- 1/2 cup milk, if you use powdered milk mix it a little thicker than usual.
- 4 fresh eggs, or 4 servings of Mountain House uncooked eggs, 1or 4 servings of powdered eggs.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 6 slices of bunker bread.
- 1/2 cup butter or whatever cooking oil you can get.
- ON A WOOD FIRE IN YOUR FIREPLACE:
- Clean the fireplace and remove the grate, you will need a level place to work.
- Build a fire, and allow it to burn down to its hot coals.
- If you have a big cast iron frying pan use it or you can use the cast iron lid of the Dutch oven as a griddle.
- In a bowl beat the eggs, add the milk and salt.
- When the fire burns down to the hot coals push the frying pan or griddle right down onto the coals.
- Test the temperature with a slab of butter, the cast iron will take a little while to heat up.
- When the butter begins to sizzle dip the bunker bread in the egg, milk mixture on both sides.
- Fry it in butter, and check it by lifting a corner.
- When it is golden brown, flip it and fry it to a golden brown on the other side.
- Serve it with butter, syrup, strawberry preserves, honey, cinnamon, and maybe a little powdered sugar.
- Serve one at a time and eat right away while they are still hot.