Hard red wheat hot cakes
- 1 1/3 cup flour, hard red wheat flour, or whole wheat flour or whatever flour you can get.
- 3 teaspoons baking powder.
- 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/3 cup honey.
- 1 egg, or 1 serving of powdered eggs.
- 1 cup milk, if you use powdered milk mix it a little thicker than usual.
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter, plus a little extra for the frying.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg first then mix in the milk.
- Mix in all the other ingredients adding the baking powder last.
- Clean your fireplace and remove the grate, you will need a level place to work.
- Build a fire and allow the fire to burn down to its hot coals.
- Consolidate the hot coals into a 9 inch circle.
- Either use the Dutch oven lid as a griddle or use a cast iron frying pan.
- Use a pad of butter to check the temperature, when it sizzles it is ready.
- Use a ladle and pour enough batter to make a hot cake about 5 inches in diameter.
- Fry it until bubbles form, check it by lifting the edge, when golden brown, flip.
- Fry the other side until also golden brow and serve.