- 2 cups white rice.
- 3 cups chicken broth, you can use the broth from the "Survival Retreat Roasted Chicken" recipe that follows.
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- 1 cup V8 juice, tomato juice, or tomato soup.
- 1/2 cup butter, or other oil.
- Put the chicken broth and V8 juice into a sauce pan over the lowest possible heat.
- Use a frying pan, and put the butter in, get it hot enough so the butter sizzles.
- Stir in the chopped onions, when brown stir in the uncooked rice, keep stirring until it is all browned.
- Bring the chicken broth and V8 to a boil.
- Reduce heat until it is just barely simmering.
- Pour in the rice and onions, watch it because it will want to boil over, keep the heat low enough so it does not boil over.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put a lid on and turn the heat off.
- Let it cool with the lid on until it cools ( 20 minutes or so )