Russian black bread
- 2 1/2 cups finely ground red wheat flour.
- 1 cup rye flour.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- 3 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds.
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds.
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast.
- 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon gluten.
- 1/4 olive oil.
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- cooking spray.
- USING A DUTCH OVEN WITH CHARCOAL IN A FIREPLACE.
- Spray your Dutch oven liberally with cooking spray or grease it well.
- Put all the ingredients into the Dutch oven and grease your hands or spray them with cooking oil.
- Use your greased hands and mix the ingredients in the Dutch oven.
- Be rough with it, fold it over and mash it and work air into the dough.
- Work it for about 10 minutes, grease your hands as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Form it into a ball, and leave it in the Dutch oven at room temperature for 45 minutes, it should rise and about double in size.
- While the dough is rising clean out your fireplace, and remove the grate, you will need a level place to work.
- When the dough finishes the first rise put some grease on your fist and punch it down into the Dutch oven.
- Push the dough down and level it, take your time and get the dough smooth, flat and evenly shaped.
- Let the dough rise again this time for 40 minutes.
- While the dough is rising this second time light 24 charcoal briquettes.
- When the 40 minutes is up place 10 of the hot charcoal briquettes in a 9 inch circle on the floor of the fireplace.
- Place the Dutch oven directly on the hot briquettes, make sure it is level.
- Put the lid on and place the remaining 14 briquettes on the lid.
- Let it bake for 45 minutes, every 15 minutes rotate the Dutch oven 90 degrees counterclockwise and the lid 90 degrees the opposite direction.
- Place a cookie sheet in front of the fireplace to catch any stray hot briquettes.
- Brush the briquettes off of the top into the fireplace, and lift the Dutch oven up and away and out onto the cookie sheet.
- Don't dink around with a hot Dutch oven, just leave it there in front of the fireplace on the cookie sheet and let it cool gradually about 45 minutes